107. What are the advantages of a point of service plan?
- You can choose to receive treatment from any licensed professional.
- You are not forced to choose a therapist with less training or experience just because s/he is the only therapist on your "list" with an open appointment.
- You and your psychologist determine what treatment is most appropriate, not an
insurance clerk or claims reviewer.
- You do not have to explain to a clerk why you want to seek psychotherapy.
- Treatment is automatically covered up to your plan maximums.
- Treatment is confidential, and treatment records are protected by law.
- Only information required for insurance payment is released to the insurance company (diagnosis and session dates).
- If you are unhappy with the therapist, you can easily change to another therapist without needing permission from the insurance company.
In short, treatment is between you and the professional providing the treatment. The person who sees you for treatment, and knows you best, decides, with your input, what treatment plan is most appropriate for